Tuesday, February 19, 2013

LA Love: The People

There were many reasons I was happy to leave Fresno. Though I do miss many people from my hometown, I was craving something more... one of those things was culture. Now, moving to Los Angeles is not exactly like moving to a foreign country or anything, but one cannot deny that it is a melting pot of various backgrounds and walks of life. It's one of the things that makes this city so beautiful. There are few places you can visit where you can meet so many different people.

I know people from all over the world.
I know people who are still learning English.
I know people who don't know it at all.
I know illegal immigrants...
They're some of my closest friends.

I know people who grew up here.
I know people who moved here for their dream.
I know those following it.
I know some making it.
I know some who did...
and I know some who never will.

I know people who live in the Hollywood Hills.
I know people who live on the streets...
and will probably die there.

I have met, known, and loved many different people here. I have been exposed to various cultures, various upbringings, various reasons for even being here... I have learned more about people in my six years here than my entire life. And I have loved every minute of it. It's incredibly refreshing to be able to walk down the street and meet someone new, every day. I may not like everyone I meet, and I may never see them again... but I have also been exposed to some of the most loving people on this planet. I have written before that I really "found myself" here in LA, but the people who have loved and appreciated me for that person is what I will remember most. The journey holds a special place in my heart, but the acceptance and love is what shines bright in my heart. In my soul...

But that's for another post. What I'm really focusing on here is the diversity of people I have had the chance to meet. Take for example, the cafe I work at. The cafe AT WHICH I work... darn prepositions! Anyways. I work in West Hollywood, and a good majority of our customers are the students and staff from the Lee Strasberg Theatre & Film Institute. Many of these students are from other countries, including Germany, Sweden, France, etc. I get to see these people on a regular basis. Also, many of the jobs I have held have been in customer service, where I often serve tourists. So I get to meet people from all over the world, and even chat with them. It's such a wonderful experience, conversing with someone from somewhere you've never been! Especially for me, having never been on a plane or past Colorado. Yes, you heard me right! Don't even start...

I have also worked in Beverly Hills, where I met many tourists, celebrities, big wigs at big wig companies, and so on. I have spoken to some incredible people, who have done projects even you've heard of, and even call a couple of them friends. I have connections I've never used. I guess I care about the relationships more than anything, and I'm okay with that.

In my neighborhood, some of the nicest people, whom I see every day, don't even speak English that well. Two different markets I often visit are owned by two different people from two different countries who BOTH continually make my days. One of my best friends, whom I see almost every day, can just barely communicate with me. He's like a brother to me, and we laugh more than I laugh with most people. And I laugh... a LOT. =)

More than just backgrounds and cultures, I have met fascinating people down here who have opened my mind to many different things. Being exposed to so many different opinions and experiences has created an environment for me where I can really figure out how I feel about certain issues. These issues can be political, environmental, my own health, my own life, all of our lives, anything... I have my own issues with picking a side (on any fence, really), and having a variety of brains to pick provides information from every side, every belief, every... thing. I love having numerous friends who all think a little differently. It keeps me on my toes, and inspires me every day.

As a writer, as a people-lover, as a person: I will always have LA to thank for its marvelous diversity, shaping me into a wiser, more mature, young woman. Yes, I said young! I'm young until I say I'm not anymore!

There are many things I really do love about LA, as you will soon see. The one thing I will always be appreciative of, and eternally grateful for, is the people.

The people I've met.
The people I've lost.
The people I've loved.
The people I've fought.
The people who lived.
The people who died.
Those I made laugh.
Those I made cry... which I'm totally sorry for! <3

Every single person, every single time.
I've loved you all <3

No comments:

Post a Comment