Wednesday, February 20, 2013

LA Love: Scenic Variety

To be honest, I'm quite tired, so this will be a quick post. However, it doesn't take away from how much I love this aspect of LA.

I have never been so close to so many different areas of interest. By that, I mean how close I am to the beach, the mountains, flatlands, crowded cities, small towns, forests, and so on. I can head half an hour in any direction and arrive at any place my heart desires.

I've often visited Santa Monica and Venice, being two of my favorite places down here. However, I have also discovered some lovely little gems by driving up the coast. It's so amazing to live so close to the beach, and I only wish I'd taken more advantage of that fact. Luckily, I hear San Diego is quite close to some beaches, too. =)

Heading North towards the grapevine are beautiful, rolling hills and mountains. You can find the Hollywood Hills, littered with houses in the lush greenery. Driving the grapevine, though terrifying at times, is quite a breathtaking drive, should you be able to gaze out the windows. Oh! And unbeknownst to me for almost 6 years, if you drive up near Altadena into The Los Angeles National Forest, you can be transported to another place. You don't even realize you're in LA anymore, as you hike along creeks, discover hidden waterfalls, and relish in the glory of nature. Just... marvelous.

The main areas of LA can be quite congested, but I'm particularly fond of some "smaller" towns, such as Pasadena. I actually lived in Pasadena for my first 7 months here, and truly enjoyed it. You know... minus living in a tiny hotel room with two other people, surrounded by hookers and drug dealers as neighbors. But hey, we sure have some stories!

Not having a car the last few years has certainly been limiting, so it's difficult to embrace every scene... seen... here. (SEE what I did there??) However, the convenience of having these options within arm's reach has been a true treasure. When... when there's no traffic. Which... there usually is... but okay, let's keep this positive people!!!

This is definitely one of my top picks for why I like... mayyybe even love... Los Angeles. It's funny... I've been so used to griping about LA, I almost forgot everything I appreciate about it. This countdown was probably the best idea I've had in a while. As someone who tries to stay positive in every situation, I suppose I need a reminder to do so here and there. So, here's to you, LA! 3 down, 23 to go!

Wow... 23 days. Creeeeeper!

No comments:

Post a Comment