Monday, February 18, 2013

LA Love: The Weather

I think the obvious love of LA to begin with is... the weather! Known for its sunny skies and beautiful days, Los Angeles provides some of the most consistently gorgeous weather throughout the year. And who the heck doesn't love beautiful weather all the damn time?

Apparently... me.

Don't get me wrong, I love a sunshiny day as much as the next person, but all the gosh darn time?? As a writer, and an emotional songwriter at that, I need dreary days and rain to inspire me. Luckily, LA does get those here and there, just maybe not as often as I'd like.

Regardless, Southern California is a beautiful place, with beautiful weather. We also get some of the most breathtaking sunsets. Without giving too much credit to the smog, I have seen some of the most amazing colors in our sunsets. Pinks and purples light up the sky, kissing the city goodnight. If you get a good seat, you can bear witness to a skyline of building tops and towering palm trees, all lit by these brilliant colors.

It's always a little funny to me, though, how everyone freaks out when it rains or drops below 70* here. I guess we're a little spoiled, but if you're used to something, it's difficult to adjust when you get something else. On these days, however, I smile BIG. The first rain we received this last winter was such an exciting day for me! I actually ran out of the cafe and stood in the slight drizzle of an oncoming storm. There's something about rain falling from the sky that makes me feel whole... like the world cries, too. It inspires me to write, enjoying the company of a familiar misery. I enjoy these days to the fullest, lighting candles and incense, and knowing full well they may not last very long. However, as soon as I'm craving a little sunlight, out comes our notoriously friendly sun, warming the land once again.

So, although I may not be a fan of the weather being perfect all the time, we do get a little rainfall and some gray skies here and there. And as if Ms. Nature knows when I've had enough, the sun always shines on a new day. I'm sure San Diego won't be too much different in the weather department, which is fine, but I'll always appreciate the sunny days of LA, and the dreary skies that poke holes in its perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment