Friday, September 21, 2012

Taxicab Confessions

It has been quite the week for me! A few bad days, a few great ones... but all in all, never as bad as it could be. I always keep that in mind. What's been going on this week, you ask? Ohhh, so. much.

More work than I usually work, more drama than I care to discuss, more alone time (with my bestie in San Francisco for a week), and more LA adventures. One such adventure is a terrible habit I've built... taxis. With as much as I work, and as often as I wake up very early with little sleep, I've been taking taxis here and there to work. Not every day, but enough to where it's a problem. I know this. However- it's the ONLY thing I ever splurge on... be that as it may, it's an expensive splurge! At $25 a pop, I'm aware I need to stop. I'm glad today was not that day, though, because I made a new friend, and every new friend is a new connection to a new perspective in life.

After work today, I decided to hit up Target for some light shopping. As I was leaving, I knew I wanted to take a taxi home, with a couple of bags in hand and Friday night traffic afoot. Or... acar? Anyways, I was going to smoke a cigarette while I called for a cab, but I noticed one waiting by the curb, lights on, from the company I normally call. I thought, "Smoking can wait!" and inquired if he was available for a lift. He took the job, and I hopped in. As we began our drive home, he mentioned he was about to smoke a cigarette and relax, until I approached him. We both soon discovered a win-win! As we lit up together, we began chatting...

Things I learned about my new friend, Suren:
He is 57. Smoker for 40 years. Divorced for 15. All of his family lives in Armenia, including his daughter, who has a child of her own. (He says to me, "I'm a grandfather already! I can't believe it... 15 years ago, I come here and she is child... now, she has child! Oh my...") He also speaks Russian, and tells me about being in the army ("...and now I am taxicab driver. I can't believe it...") After we smoke, he offers me "good chocolate for after smoking", and hands me a cough drop. HA! May I just mention I do this sometimes, too??? He lives in Hollywood, in a 1-bedroom apartment with a balcony, and thinks I should do the same. He also thinks I should own a car, and offered to drive me to a dealership in Glendale, which I politely declined, stating a car was not at the top of my priority list. ("But in America, you must have car! Or you cannot go anywhere! Pretty girl like you, riding bus...") At one point, I ask him why he doesn't go to Armenia and visit his daughter, whom he has not seen in many, many years. His reply? "12 hours on plane and no smoking?! I cannot do it! I am sick in head, cannot do it..." I love this man, and his honesty.

At the end of our trip, he gives me his card and tells me to call him when I need a ride, so he can give me a discount. "I want to help you! Do not be afraid to call me, I like these smoking women! You call me." And I will. He is very sweet, very honest, and very sincere. He won't bullshit you. He is obviously lonely. And I feel a kinship with him. I think life is all about connecting with people, and being open to do so. I feel we would have many fun talks, and I don't plan on missing them. I'm breaking this frivolous habit of taxi rides, but every once in a while, I will call him. It's worth it. Through the hardships of this week, and even the highs, he made my day. He made me love LA again, if only for the random connections with people I wouldn't meet anywhere else. And, most importantly, he inspired me to write tonight... that, in itself, is worth my time. Very much so. I am drawn to people who inspire me, and in his own subtle way, he did just that. If I can, at the least, bring some joy and light into his mediocre day, then I am succeeding as a human being. This isn't the first, second, or even 30th time I've encountered someone who normally would be overlooked, and decided to connect. And it certainly won't be the last. We should all be open and caring to every human being, because everyone is, just that. Human. A being. Someone who loves, and yearns to be loved. Open your heart... you never know who you'll discover. <3 ... and what discounts you'll acquire! ;)

1 comment:

  1. When I lived in NYC I lived about twenty minutes from the train, and I took taxis to the train all the time. I would wake up late and feel it was less stressful to call a car than to have to leave early to catch my train.

    In NYC they have cars, not yellow taxi's but town cars that come anytime you call. I was known by name by all the drivers. One time I left my wallet in one of the cars, and I went and asked the drivers to ask around for me. They ended up finding my wallet and delivering it to my house.Most of my friends told me I would never see it again, but I had faith in my fellow humans.The drivers took care of me always and I was always safe thanks to my NYC transportation angels.

    ReplyDelete