Thursday, August 2, 2012

Work HARD For The Money!!!

Ohhh man, only 1 blog in and I'm already ready to vent! It's been one of those days... so clench your cheeks, 'cause this shit just got REAL!

First of all, I'm not one for tooting my own horn... okay yes, yes I am... but if you've ever worked with me, you know I'm pretty good about making my job fun, no matter the task. I'm always trying to stay positive, motivate and support the rest of my team, and go above and beyond the call of whatever position I hold. I've worked with, and trained, many different personality types. Chatty Kathys, stress baskets, competitors, downers; you name it. And I normally keep my frustration to a minimum. BUT. If there is one thing I canNOT stand, it's someone who genuinely does not give ONE POOP about the work, their co-workers, and the customers. The type of person who barely does the minimum requirements at hand, and makes it difficult for you to do your OWN job.

I obviously am referring to a personal issue, but as I sit here and think about what to write, I realize that it's not even worth my time to put this person on blast. So, I'm going to change the tone a bit...

I greatly dislike money, but we need it to survive.
Sure, I like to work, though probably wouldn't do it (as much) if I didn't have to, but I need to.
We all do.
So why does work have to be so miserable? Why do we need to hate our jobs? Generally, because people are miserable, and misery loves company. I, on the otherhand, try to make my work environment as fun and stress-free as humanly possible. For one, my employers are paying my way, and they at least deserve my hard work in return. Plus, I work in customer service, so a good attitude and cheery personality are incredibly important to not only my employers and their company, but to the customers and, well, my wallet. I earn tips, after all! Based on my performance!

So, I sing, I dance around, I make stupid jokes, I give customers a hard time, and I genuinely care about the people around me. I do my very best to keep everyone happy, and I love to do it! I've even received compliments about it, and I take a lot of pride in my work and the image I reflect. However, not everyone is like this. And I get it- to many people, 'It's just a job'... Just a job?! It's how you make your living! It's how you survive! It's how your employer's business survives! It's a way of life; a community effort to sustain a decent living experience for anyone involved. So why make it any harder than it already is?? Take some pride in your work! Earn the respect of others by giving them a reason to respect you! And if your job is sooo miserable, find a different one! Or change your perspective! I understand fully the difficulty of finding a job these days, so if you absolutely MUST stay, then change your attitude!

A bit of a repeat from my previous blog, A New Beginning, is the statement that was shoved down my throat for many years: Life is all about choices. You can wake up and choose to be miserable, or you can choose to be happy. Either way, it's YOUR CHOICE. Letting people get the best of you is one obstacle, but flat out not giving one crap about your actions and your attitude is bull honkey. Yes, that's right, BULL HONKEY. It was one thing to deal with it in Corporate America, but now I work for a very amazing, very hard-working family whom I love dearly, and I'm JUST. NOT. HAVING IT ANYMORE. People like this not only make the job harder for those around them, but can they honestly say they like being this way? That they like being a big sour-puss, doesn't give a crap, total downer type of person? I highly doubt it. So, if you're one of these people, think about it this way: You can continue down this path of shoddy work, a negative attitude, and counting down the minutes until you go home to chug a beer, ORRR, you can wake up tomorrow and realize that life would be a lot easier if you just put in a little effort. Smile, communicate, accept mistakes made, LEARN from them, grow, live, love. You'll be doing us all a great favor if you come in to work with a positive attitude and team-effort mindset. I assure you, you'll be doing yourself a big favor, too. The day will run smoother, the time will fly faster, and the days you work won't be the days you wish were over.

They may, in fact, become some of the best days of your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment